I actually get pantry envy. I’d take a walk-in pantry over a walk-in closet any day. I dream of filling mason jars and rustic tins with exotic flours, spices and other ingredients and stacking them in a pantry big enough to fit the most beautiful shabby chic wooden furniture. Racks of preserved lemons, salts, jams and other what nots housed in a walk-in pantry nothing short of the walk-in closet that Big builds Carrie. My other obsession is lunch boxes but we’ll talk about that another time! I thought I’d give you a verbal walk through of my current pantry status quo and while it might not be massive, it certainly does the job!
I feel if the following things are in my life and pantry (aka my fridge and cupboard), then putting together meals during Ramzaan and in general isn’t an absolute mind boggle.
- Roasted Veggies – The hubz and I are always amazed what roasting a ton of veggies at our Sunday cook-off can lead to. So many different types of meals! Yummy omelets, perfect sides and lazy salads. I keep red onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and tomatoes on standby!
- Frozen Organic Greens – The Clean Fifteen and the Dirty Dozen highlights all the veggies and fruits that have high and low levels of pesticides. So I mostly buy the Dirty Dozen organic and the Clean Fifteen regular. I’m okay with freezing stuff and stocking up on frozen organic greens. This makes life super easy and works out cost wise too! I make these insanely good green beans with garlic, olive oil and a pinch of chili flakes.
- Frozen Organic Berries – Cheaper than fresh organic berries.
- Hemp Seeds – My hubz gives me hemp hearts for Valentine’s Day! He and I are totally in love with hemp seeds and sprinkle them on everything from smoothies, eggs, to avo-toast to salads!
- Coconut Milk – There’s always a few cans of coconut milk in our cupboard! It’s one of my favourite ingredients in the world. Pour it onto some roasted veggies with some Thai spices and you have an instant curry.
- Almond Milk – I love milk shakes! Frozen bananas, cacao and almond milk is heaven.
- Coconut Oil – I love cooking with coconut oil, it’s so sweet and creamy.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – I love drizzling this onto salads or roast vegetables, on top of poached eggs or avocados and adding it to my sweet potato mash.
- Organic Eggs – Eggs are magical and you can do so many things with them.
- Sweet potato – My body isn’t the biggest lover of grains. I still eat Napoli pizza and corn chips, just not all the time. Post-workout I need me some carbs (just not carbage). My go-to is the potato – to be more specific pan-fried potatoes in ghee or sweet potato paprika wedges with some homemade mayo. What’s that – homemade mayo and ghee? Yeah girl, fats are the new black.
- Avocados – Seriously guys, do I even need to explain this?
- Nuts & Nut Butter – For snacks, smoothies and general merriment.
- Cacao & Dark Chocolate – I swear there is nothing better than a square or two of some dark chocolate after a long day at work or whatever it is that you’ve been up to, especially when there’s some sea salt involved. Ameen.
- Superfood powders – I think having a couple of superfood powders on standby to throw into your smoothies ups their game in a major way! Choose what ever you like but wheatgrass and baobab are my faves!
- Chia Seeds – Each tiny seed packs some serious punch! I eat them a few times a week (I’ll be showing you how) and because fibre and chia pudding is delicious.
- Spices – DOH! Also, they aren’t just for flavour. Spices add more than masala to your meal, for example cinnamon can help balance your blood sugar and turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties.