I threw an Iftar party for the hubby’s birthday and I thought it would be a great idea to serve miniature versions of some of my favourite desi street food. This way guests get to enjoy a little bit of everything without feeling too stuffed or bloated. Let’s kick things off with some Hangry Wala Sliders.
It’s an aptly named slider, even if I do say so myself because Ramzaan hanger is taking it’s toll! Just keep telling yourself that Eid is coming…
The story behind the name of this recipe is actually really funny. Maybe this is one of those stories where you had to be there but I’m going to tell it anyway. A few months back a bunch of my friends and I were playing some game where we wrote down words and then had to act them out for our respective teams. Our team got pretty imaginative. Anyway, I was doing a round and I came across the word “Angry Wala Burger.”
I started acting out, being angry and taking bites out of an imaginary burger. Obviously my team had no clue what I was doing, the timer ran out and I couldn’t believe that no one had guessed it, then I realised it actually said Anday Wala Burger. It still cracks everyone up.
Yes there’s actual bread involved in this recipe and that means wheat! The glorious white stuff that makes a burger rock! The hubz agreed to a red velvet almond flour birthday cake (which was amazing by the way and let me know if I should post the recipe) but making him eat a bun kebab without actual bread on his birthday is just cruel.
These mini aloo bun kebabs are really easy to make and are perfect party food if you’re having a get together for Iftar! All my friends loved them and they disappeared pretty quickly and they’re just so damn cute!
- Makes 12 Sliders
- 3 cups of chopped boiled potato (about two medium sized potatoes)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2tbsp ginger paste
- 1/2tbsp garlic paste
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1/2tsp chili flakes
- Pinch of turmeric
- Handful of chopped coriander
- 1 egg white
- Sunflower oil
- 12 slider buns
- Your choice of chutney to serve with the sliders*
- Start by mashing up the boiled potatoes with the egg yolk, spices and coriander and set aside.
- Next beat the egg white until it becomes fluffy and soft white peaks form.
- Form the potato mixture into 12 mini potato patties, it helps to have wet hands when doing this.
- Next set a frying pan on a medium heat and add one tablespoon of oil and let it heat up. Once the oil is nice and hot, dip each patty into the egg white mixture before dropping it into the frying pan. I did mine in batches of four.
- Cook each patty for about two to three minutes on each side or until it forms a nice golden brown sheen. Once all the patties have been cooked set them aside and toast the slider buns.*
- To serve: Put a dollop of chutney on each slider, add a mini patty and stick a toothpick in it.
- *I served mine with green chutney.
- **If you’re serving them at a party, cook the patties and then reheat them in the oven when you’re ready to serve them and toast your slider buns at that moment.