Last year’s Overnight Sehri Busters got a lot of love! So here is the 2016 edition. The beauty of these recipes is you can whip them up the night before and stash them in the fridge for sehri the next day!
I have a success story to share with you about these recipes. The first four fasts I wasn’t really able to get up for sehri. Yesterday I remade all these recipes for the shoot and put them away in the fridge and guess what? I did get up for sehri early this morning and even did a little Snapchat. So if you’re a lazy faster (like me) then hook yourself up with these overnight sehri busters.
C’est Parfait Sehri
This Mango and Chia Seed Parfait is packed with protein from the Greek yoghurt and good fats from the nuts. Chia got it’s name from the Mayan word for strength, Apache and Aztec warriors used to actually take them along on conquests. Chia seeds, thought to be ‘Indian Running Food’ because of how energizing they are, were used by warriors to sustain themselves. Sounds like the perfect choice for sehri, no?
- Serves One
- 2tbsp chia seeds (or basil seeds)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 cup of frozen mango pieces
- Toppings: chopped walnuts, goji berries and coconut flakes
- Mix the chia seed together with the water mix well and set aside. After about ten minutes the chia seed mixture will thicken.
- For the layers: spoon half the chia seed mixture into a mason jar or glass. Then top with half the frozen mango. Don’t worry about thawing the mango, the liquid will seep into the chia seeds. Top the frozen mango layer with two-three heaping tablespoons of Greek yoghurt.
- Repeat the process for more layers. Spoon the rest of the chia seed mixture on to the Greek yoghurt layer. Top this with the remaining frozen mango and to finish add a couple more heaping tablespoons of Greek yoghurt. Sprinkle with toppings and store in fridge overnight.
Towards the end of Ramzaan when things get a bit desperate this egg and avocado salad is like a hug at sehri. When you’ve woken late, can’t be bothered to make an egg or simply want to reach haphazardly into your fridge and hope something will magically appear appear. Throw it on top of a slice of sourdough toast and it’s happy fasting days. How long until Ramzaan ends?
- Serves 3-4
- 4 boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- 1tsp mustard
- 1tsp paprika (optional)
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Some finely chopped coriander (optional)
- In a mixing bowl mash the avocado with the salt, mustard, paprika and lemon juice.
- Add the chopped hard boiled eggs to and coriander to the avocados and mix well.
Savoury Grain Free Muffins
If you’re looking for a low carb sehri fix that isn’t too heavy but totally satisfying – a couple of these savoury grain free muffins will do the trick! It doesn’t get any more low maintenance than this when it comes to sehri, but if you’re feeling fancy in the morning, give them a toast and top ’em with a little somethin’ somethin’.
- Makes 8 muffins
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1/4 cup dried chives
- 1tsp onion powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Whisk the nutritional yeast and hot water together into a paste and set aside.
- Sieve the almond flour, baking soda, chives and salt and set aside.
- Use an electric mixer (either freestanding or paddle) on a high speed to beat the eggs and oil together until they resemble a pale and thickened cream on a high.
- Lower the speed and add the nutritional yeast mixture and then the almond flour mixture and allow everything to incorporate. Pour the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container for up to a week.