The air certainly had a bite today (a bit like this wild pomegranate salad). I love October, the start of pomegranate season, this is when those wonderful bejewelled seeds are sweet and ruby red. I truly think fall is one of the most beautiful seasons of year and I love to start October with a beautiful pomegranate salad that boasts colour, health and flavour.
It’s going to be a busy month, my sister is in town, we’re wrapping up Founder Institute, our startup is in full swing and there’s Nuit Blanche, Thanksgiving, a cottage trip and Halloween to look forward to. One needs energy and food that delivers flavour as well as nourishment. Look to this wild pomegranate salad for all of those things, it’s a great side and sparkling addition to any spread that calls for a salad this season.
My friends and family go crazy for pomegranate in salads, I think it’s the pop of flavour. I love eating this wild pomegranate salad with freshly made hummus, some roasted onions or eggplant. I do believe there’s merit to starting of a month on the right note, whatever that may be for you, for me it’s this wild pomegranate salad.
- (Serves 4)
- 1/2 cup of black rice
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of walnuts, chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp white vinegar
- Black pepper
- Fruit of a medium pomegranate
- 1/2 cup of crumbled goat’s feta cheese
- Wash and cook the black rice according to instructions. Once the black rice is done, drain and return to the sauce pan.
- Stir in parsley, walnuts, olive oil, vinegar and black pepper. Throw in the pomegranate seeds and divide into four bowls and top with feta cheese.